Based on the feedback we got from our evaluative research, we updated our storyboards and combined 4 concepts into a more integrated experience.
Storyboard 1 — A goal-setting platform that embedded in a project-based curriculum for planning and reflection
We envision a future education to be project-based and more equally accessible in educational resources (eg. resources in neighboring schools). In this story, Claire is guided to plan her curriculum based on long-term career goals and her interested fields, while the system allows certain levels of flexibility in planning the project. …
This week, we further narrow down our problem space, and designed workshops for building our persona.
We asked Hajira and Sofia for help because we felt a little bit stuck in our progress. The problem space was still too broad to generate concepts and even conduct generative research. We were also unsure of how to choose our methods and design workshops. They gave us insightful feedback and we developed our process accordingly:
While continuing our secondary research from last week, we started to write down our interview protocol, and initiate conversations with interviewees this week.
After we started our initial secondary research, we also started to draft our interview protocol for our future user interviews. Our goal of the interview was to learn from our potential audiences about:
We created a google doc to list our questions, rephrase and modify them in smooth order. We classified our interviewees…
For the second week, we further narrowed down our problem space through research and storyboarding.
Each of us created 3 storyboards under classroom setting to communicate the problem spaces we intended to explore. The following image contains some examples of the storyboards. At this stage, the stories are purely based on the problem we observed and interested in, but not solid research.
The topic I got is “world cash crop” under the theme of finance. The key question for this data visualization is “What is the world’s biggest cash crop?”
What data is introduced? What relationships emerge from the visualization?
First, there are four bar charts indicating data of different attributes for these cash crops. The four categories are “most planted”, “most fecund”, “most popular” and “most revenue”. All four categories are in the order of the most planted cash crops to the least.
From analyzing the data in the first part, we can tell that “most planted” crops does not have…
This week we presented our interventions, reflected on Project 1, and was introduced Project 2, making the abstract concrete. In this project, we will explore various forms to communicate abstract information, and aid audiences’ understanding through a video explaining an assigned topic.
The topic I got is electoral college. I’ve never heard of this term (but know a little bit about the concept) before. …
This intervention was created as part of our MPS/MDes I Communication Design Studio during the Fall 2020 semester at CMU. As a class, our goal was to identify elements of communication design in media that influence the way we consume news, and design an intervention to make people better readers. As a team, we focused on bias in the media. The project took place over two weeks of individual work, followed by two and a half weeks of team work synthesizing our findings and developing an intervention.
Our team began the design process by grappling with questions regarding the scope and form this service would take. We had to consider who our targeted users were and that they would be both drivers and passengers. Using Miro, we mapped out a series of potential options as well as the potential problems they would face and in what context. By connecting the boxes from left to right we could see scenarios begin to play out which could become storyboards later. …
Currently in the beginning of the course, I interpret communication design as conveying information in intentional ways to improve communication, and it is a critical part of interaction, as communication is key of interaction design. I am sure my understanding for communication design will change, or deepen in some way, and I am already excited to imagine reading through the documentation and witnessing the change in the end of the semester.
In the first class, Stacie introduced some concepts of communication design through wind-up toys. We observed wind-up toys in various forms, predicted their operation patterns, and verified our prediction…
My team and I had a great session thinking through some of the different people and groups involved with learning in the food system, especially when looking at a college campus.
In our discussion, we tried to cover a few different perspectives:
Currently studying Interaction Design in School of Design at Carnegie Mellon University